- Would you like to help manage a unique, world-class research infrastructure?
- Do you want make a tangible contribution to sustainable aviation?
- Are you experienced in managing experimental wind tunnel testing?
- Do you have experience with aerospace research funding in the UK and/or the Netherlands, at a national or industrial level?
- Do you enjoy working within a small, high performing team, and with international stakeholders?
Then you could be the right candidate for the ETW management team!
The European Transonic Windtunnel (ETW) is the world's leading wind tunnel for testing aircraft in model scale at real flight conditions. It was commissioned by France, Germany, Great Britain and The Netherlands, and is operated by ETW GmbH on a not-for-profit basis. Today, ETW’s client list includes the major aircraft OEMs from across the world and the corresponding national Research Institutions. Aircraft performance and their flight envelope limits can be accurately determined with the unique data quality obtained from ETW testing long before flight test of a first prototype. Researchers and manufacturers from all over the world leverage the facility’s capabilities to enhance the performance, economic viability, and environmental impact of future aircraft. In the 2022 business year, ETW’s multinational core team of 34 employees generated a turnover of approx. € 8 million.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced
Manager Aerodynamics & Testing (m/f/d)
to join our team on a permanent basis and report to the Managing Director, this is a senior leadership role.
- You will contribute to a management team of three that leads, motivates and develops the highly dedicated and qualified ETW team in a lean and efficient manner.
- You are the key person to progress, promote and exploit ETW’s testing expertise and services. In this context, you manage relationships with international Clients and Research Institutions to determine and serve their testing needs and anticipate opportunities for enhancing our offered capabilities.
- You'll manage related ETW team activities to establish, provide and present the highest quality test data within budgeted costs and timescales in order to secure and maximise ETW’s test revenues.
- You’ll develop, establish and maintain standard operating procedures for cryogenic testing.
- You will be responsible for ETW’s Quality Assurance.
- You will fulfil the role of ETW’s Supervisory Board Secretary, working closely with the national stakeholder representatives and corresponding Ministries.
Qualifications and skills:
- Diploma or Master's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or relevant similar degree.
- You bring in at least 5 years of experience in physical testing, preferably including (cryogenic) wind tunnels.
- Ideally you will have experience with exploiting funding opportunities for aerospace research in the UK and/or in the Netherlands.
- You have demonstrated strong leadership and project management skills.
- You are able to work independently and as part of a team.
- You are a strong communicator, able to establish and maintain stakeholder relationships especially in an intercultural context.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Basic German skills are regarded an asset.
- Flexibility, strategic thinking, commitment for continuous improvement, perseverance and attention to detail suit you.
We offer a truly exceptional place to work, a competitive salary, a lucrative pension scheme and other benefits. Our work environment is based on a value-oriented corporate management culture, flat hierarchies with fast decision making, and features international contacts and in-person exchanges.
This is a rare opportunity to join our multinational team based in Germany. Once you have received and accepted a job offer, ETW will help you to find your way around and settle in, providing support for relocation, visa, etc. Cologne and Bonn have excellent national and international schools.
If you are interested in joining our extraordinary team, please apply with your CV and cover letter by post to Dr. Guido DIETZ by the mid of March 2023, European Transonic Windtunnel, Ernst-Mach-Strasse, 51147 Köln, Germany or by Email to .